Current:Home > reviewsTrump posts $175 million bond in New York fraud case -Wealth Empowerment Zone
Trump posts $175 million bond in New York fraud case
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:25:36
Former President Donald Trump and co-defendants in his New York civil fraud case have posted a bond of $175 million, according to a court filing Monday by an insurance company.
The posting brings to an end a six-week ordeal in which Trump scrambled to fend off possible seizure of property or assets stemming from a $464 million judgment by a judge who found he gained hundreds of millions through a yearslong fraud scheme targeting banks and insurers. Trump was required to post bond to avoid enforcement of the judgment pending his appeal.
Alina Habba, an attorney for Trump, said Trump's payment was made "as promised."
"He looks forward to vindicating his rights on appeal and overturning this unjust verdict," Habba said.
The bond was lowered by an appellate court from the $464 million figure to $175 million on March 25, hours after Trump missed a grace period deadline extended by New York Attorney General Letitia James, whose office brought the case.
A spokesperson for James declined to comment. James had indicated her office would pursue Trump's assets if he failed to post bond.
"If he does not have funds to pay off the judgment, then we will seek judgment enforcement mechanisms in court, and we will ask the judge to seize his assets," she said during a February interview with ABC News.
Attorneys for Trump wrote in a March 18 filing in the case that it was a "practical impossibility" for the defendants to secure the original, near half-billion dollar bond. They said he had been turned down by over 30 surety companies.
"Very few bonding companies will consider a bond of anything approaching that magnitude," wrote the lawyers, Alina Habba, Clifford Robert, Christopher Kise and John Sauer. They noted that surety providers often require collateral up to 120% to guarantee the bond, driving the amount Trump might need over $500 million.
That filing, made on March 18, listed more than 30 companies the Trump Organization said it approached seeking the larger bond, all of whom declined. The one that ultimately provided Monday's $175 million bond, Knight Specialty Insurance Company, was not on that list.
- In:
- Donald Trump
Graham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- MLB's Rob Manfred addresses timeline for gambling investigation into Ohtani's translator
- Colman Domingo pays homage to André Leon Talley, Chadwick Boseman with Met Gala look
- Condé Nast workers reach labor agreement with publisher, averting Met Gala strike
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Demi Lovato marks Met Gala return in Prabal Gurung gown with 500 hand-cut flowers
- Judges ask whether lawmakers could draw up new House map in time for this year’s elections
- Zendaya Defeats All Challengers With 3rd Met Gala Look
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Cardi B Closes the 2024 Met Gala Red Carpet With a Jaw-Dropping Look
Ranking
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- At least 14 killed after flood and landslide hit Indonesia's Sulawesi island
- This Mother's Day, share a heartfelt message with these 30 quotes about mothers
- Zendaya's Unexpected Outfit Change at the 2024 Met Gala Will Make You Euphoric
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Emily Ratajkowski Frees the Nipple in NSFW Met Gala 2024 Look
- Hamas attacks Israel-Gaza border crossing as cease-fire talks appear to fizzle
- One way to appreciate teachers: These schools provide their day care
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Venus Williams Wore a Broken Mirrored Dress to the 2024 Met Gala—But She's Not Superstitious About It
Your Jaw Will Drop Seeing Tyla Get Cut Out of Her Dress at 2024 Met Gala
2024 Met Gala: Tyla Gets Carried Up the Stairs in Hourglass Red Carpet Look
Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
Mom accused of stabbing young sons, setting home ablaze with them inside indicted in deaths
One way to appreciate teachers: These schools provide their day care
You Probably Missed Sabrina Carpenter and Barry Keoghan's Sneaky Red Carpet Debut at 2024 Met Gala