Current:Home > ScamsBill Cosby, NBCUniversal sued by actress on 'The Cosby Show' for alleged sexual assault, battery -Wealth Empowerment Zone
Bill Cosby, NBCUniversal sued by actress on 'The Cosby Show' for alleged sexual assault, battery
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:50:55
NEW YORK — A woman who worked as a stand-in at “The Cosby Show” in the 1980s said in a lawsuit Tuesday that Bill Cosby drugged and sexually abused her after offering to mentor her in her acting career.
The anonymous accuser said that soon after meeting Cosby while working on his show, he started offering style tips and performing acting exercises with her in his dressing room. When he invited her to his home, she accepted, she said, in part because of “Cosby’s wholesome image as `America’s Dad,’” according to the lawsuit.
Once there, she said she blacked out during an acting exercise after drinking wine apparently laced with an intoxicant. She awoke “partially undressed and vomiting into a toilet,” according to the lawsuit in the state Supreme Court in New York.
An unidentified actor on the show later expressed to her that Cosby “could do whatever he wanted to do with impunity at `The Cosby Show,’” according to the lawsuit, which seeks damages for battery, assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and false imprisonment.
NBCUniversal, along with Kaufman Astoria Studios and The Carsey-Werner Company, are accused in the lawsuit of negligence related to Cosby’s alleged behavior. Representatives of the companies did not immediately respond to emailed messages seeking comment Tuesday evening.
What is the Adult Survivors Act?
It is the latest in a string of lawsuits filed against Cosby under New York’s expiring Adult Survivors Act, which has given victims of sexual abuse a one-year window for claims that would otherwise be barred by time limits. That window closes on Thanksgiving.
A spokesperson for Cosby, 86, declined to comment on the specifics of the lawsuit, but suggested that look-back windows in place in New York and elsewhere should be closed because they were being abused to go after wealthy celebrities.
Joan Tarshis,one of Bill Cosby's 1st accusers, sues actor for alleged sexual assault
“When will it stop and who will be the next man to be victimized by these look-back windows?” spokesperson Andrew Wyatt wrote in an email.
Cosby has been accused of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment by more than 60 women, including several who have filed lawsuits over the past year under the Adult Survivors Act. He has denied all allegations involving sex crimes.
Cosby was the first celebrity tried and convicted in the #MeToo era and spent nearly three years at a state prison near Philadelphia before a higher court overturned the conviction and released him in 2021.
Cosby had been 'a father figure':Woman accuses Bill Cosby of drugging, sexually assaulting her in the '80s
veryGood! (45916)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Ray Epps, a target of Jan. 6 conspiracy theories, gets a year of probation for his Capitol riot role
- Gabriel Attal is France’s youngest-ever and first openly gay prime minister
- I’m a Shopping Editor, Here Is My New Year’s Skincare Resolutions List for 2024
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- 2024 Golden Globes reaches viewership of 9.4 million — highest ratings in years
- Mississippi governor says he wants young people to stop leaving the state
- Iowa school shooter's parents say they had 'no inkling of horrible violence'
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- Budget agreement may include IRS cuts that curb plan to crack down on wealthy tax cheats
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- The best TV of early 2024: Here's what to watch in January
- DeSantis targets New York, California and Biden in his Florida State of the State address
- Dua Lipa Hilariously Struggles to Sit in Her Viral Bone Dress at the Golden Globes
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Florida woman arrested after police say she beat poodle to death with frying pan
- Michigan deserved this title. But the silly and unnecessary scandals won't be forgotten.
- Natalie Portman, Julianne Moore respond to 'May December' inspiration Vili Fualaau's criticism
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Virginia police identify suspect in 3 cold-case homicides from the 1980s, including victims of the Colonial Parkway Murders
Will Johnson, Mike Sainristil and Michigan’s stingy D clamps down on Washington’s deep passing game
Gabriel Attal is France’s youngest-ever and first openly gay prime minister
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Mexican authorities find the bodies of 9 men near pipeline. Fuel theft by gangs is widespread
3 people dead, including suspected gunman, in shooting at Cloquet, Minnesota hotel: Police
DeSantis targets New York, California and Biden in his Florida State of the State address