Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Heavy fighting in Gaza’s second-largest city leaves hundreds of patients stranded in main hospital -Wealth Empowerment Zone
Indexbit Exchange:Heavy fighting in Gaza’s second-largest city leaves hundreds of patients stranded in main hospital
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:08:51
RAFAH,Indexbit Exchange Gaza Strip (AP) — Israeli forces battled Palestinian militants Wednesday near the main hospital in Gaza’s second-largest city of Khan Younis, where medics said hundreds of patients and thousands of displaced people were unable to leave because of the fighting.
Israel has ordered residents to leave a swath of downtown Khan Younis that includes Nasser and two smaller hospitals as it pushes ahead with its 3-month-old offensive against Hamas. The United Nations humanitarian office said the area was home to 88,000 Palestinians and was hosting another 425,000 displaced by fighting elsewhere.
The aid group Doctors Without Borders said its staff was trapped inside Nasser Hospital with some 850 patients and thousands of displaced people because the surrounding roads were inaccessible or too dangerous. Nasser Hospital is one of only two hospitals in southern Gaza that can still treat critically ill patients, the group said. Gaza’s Health Ministry also said the hospital had been isolated.
The Israeli military said its forces were battling militants inside Khan Younis after completing their encirclement of the city the day before. It said aircraft were striking targets as part of the operations there and had also targeted suspected militants in central and northern Gaza.
Thousands of people fled south from Khan Younis on Tuesday toward the town of Rafah. The U.N. says some 1.5 million people — around two-thirds of Gaza’s population — are crowded into shelters and tent camps in and around Rafah, which is on the border with Egypt.
Even there, Palestinians have found little safety, with Israel regularly carrying out strikes in and around the town. Palestinian witnesses said that in recent days Israeli soldiers and tanks had pushed into parts of Muwasi, a sandy area along the coast that Israel had declared a safe zone, where tens of thousands of people were living in tents without basic services.
In all, some 1.7 million people have been displaced within Gaza, according to the U.N. refugee agency. Most have fled from the north, where Israel’s air and ground offensive has reduced entire neighborhoods to shelled-out wastelands, raising the question of whether residents will ever be able to return.
Gaza’s Health Ministry says the offensive has killed at least 25,490 people — the majority women and children — and wounded another 63,354. Its count does not differentiate between civilians and combatants. U.N. officials have expressed fears that even more people could die from disease, with at least one-quarter of the population facing starvation.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed to press ahead with the offensive until “complete victory” against Hamas, which started the war with its assault across the border on Oct. 7, killing some 1,200 people and abducting another 250.
ISRAELI DIVISIONS OVER WAR AIMS
Netanyahu says Israel is also committed to returning the over 100 hostages that remain in captivity after most of the others were freed in exchange for the release of Palestinian prisoners during a November cease-fire.
But many Israelis, including at least one member of Netanyahu’s War Cabinet, say that’s impossible without reaching another agreement with Hamas. The militant group says it won’t release any more hostages until Israel ends its offensive.
Families of the hostages are also calling for a deal, and have staged increasingly aggressive protests against Israel’s leaders, even interrupting a parliamentary committee meeting Monday. Egypt and Qatar were working on a new agreement, but officials say the gap between the two sides is still wide.
In Israel, bitter political divisions that were set aside after the Oct. 7 attack have begun to reemerge, with Netanyahu facing widespread anger and protests over the failure to prevent the attack and the plight of the hostages.
A BUFFER ZONE IN GAZA?
Hamas was still attacking Israeli forces, even in some of the most devastated areas, and firing rockets into Israel. An attack Monday near the border killed 21 Israeli soldiers, the military’s biggest loss of life in a single attack since Oct. 7.
Israeli media said the troops were working to create an informal buffer zone about a kilometer (half a mile) wide along the border to prevent militants from attacking Israeli communities near Gaza. The military said the operation was aimed at providing security for those communities but has declined to say if it plans to carve out an official buffer zone.
The United States, which has provided essential military and diplomatic support for the offensive, has said it is opposed to any attempt by Israel to shrink Gaza’s territory.
But President Joe Biden’s administration has also urged Israel to scale back military operations and facilitate the delivery of more aid — with limited success. And Netanyahu has outright rejected calls from the U.S. and much of the international community for postwar plans that include the eventual creation of a Palestinian state.
___
Lidman reported from Jerusalem.
___
Find more of AP’s coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war
veryGood! (12)
Related
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- The president could invoke a 1947 law to try to suspend the dockworkers’ strike. Here’s how
- 23XI Racing, co-owned by Michael Jordan, and Front Row Motorsports sue NASCAR
- Daniel Day-Lewis Returning to Hollywood After 7-Year Break From Acting
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- The president could invoke a 1947 law to try to suspend the dockworkers’ strike. Here’s how
- Video of Kentucky judge’s death shown at court hearing for the ex-sheriff charged in the case
- Land Rover updates names, changes approach to new product lines
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Frolic Into Fall With Lands' End's Huge Sitewide Sale: $7 Tees, $8 Bras, $10 Pants & More — Up to 87% Off
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Mark Estes Breaks Silence on Kristin Cavallari Split
- Opinion: Hate against Haitian immigrants ignores how US politics pushed them here
- Condoms aren’t a fact of life for young Americans. They’re an afterthought
- Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
- Sabrina Carpenter Shuts Down Lip-Syncing Rumors Amid Her Short n’ Sweet Tour
- The president could invoke a 1947 law to try to suspend the dockworkers’ strike. Here’s how
- Shock of deadly floods is a reminder of Appalachia’s risk from violent storms in a warming climate
Recommendation
Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
Gap Fall Clothes That Look Expensive: Affordable Luxury for 60% Off
Lionel Messi to rejoin Argentina for two matches in October. Here's what you need to know
Trump won’t participate in interview for ’60 Minutes’ election special
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Video of fatal shooting of Kentucky judge by accused county sheriff shown in court
Hospitals mostly rebound after Helene knocked out power and flooded areas
Mark Estes Breaks Silence on Kristin Cavallari Split