Current:Home > ScamsFastexy Exchange|3 men found not guilty in Michigan Gov. Whitmer kidnapping plot. Who are they? -Wealth Empowerment Zone
Fastexy Exchange|3 men found not guilty in Michigan Gov. Whitmer kidnapping plot. Who are they?
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:07:48
A jury acquitted three men Friday in a 2020 plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.
After more than 10 hours of deliberation,Fastexy Exchange a jury unanimously found Eric Molitor and twins William and Mike Null not guilty of providing material support to a terrorist act and of possessing a firearm in the process.
They are the last of 14 defendants accused in an elaborately planned scheme to kidnap the governor from her summer cabin in Elk Rapids, Michigan, during the height of COVID-19 shutdowns. Prosecutors described the plot as a rallying cry for a U.S. civil war by anti-government extremists. The defense admitted to their clients' frustration with the government but not the intent of violence against the governor or local law enforcement.
Widely publicized throughout the country, the kidnapping plot captured the nation's attention in 2020 when the defendants were initially arrested. Pandemic restrictions were in full effect at the time, prompting backlash from certain factions, riots were erupting in cities in response to the murder of George Floyd and rallies with gun-wielding protesters were occurring in numerous state capitals.
Who was found not guilty Friday?
Molitor and the Null brothers were facing sentences of up to 20 years in prison. Now they are free men. Molitor said he had his bag packed and was ready to be taken to jail. He walked out of the courthouse with his mother, who had testified in his defense.
The case against them involved whether the men knowingly contributed to the terrorist plot. Entangled in that was the role the FBI had in the events leading up to the defendants' arrests. FBI informants and undercover agents both played a part in obtaining the evidence presented in court.
Michigan's Attorney General Dana Nessel said in an emailed statement that the verdicts aren't what the office hoped for but that prosecutors have successfully sent a clear message in federal and state courts domestic terrorism isn't tolerated in Michigan.
Mixed results for others charged, convicted in plot
Prior to Friday's ruling, the plot has so far seen four men strike a deal to plead guilty, two men acquitted, two men found guilty of kidnapping conspiracy and conspiracy to possess weapons of mass destruction, and three men convicted of felony counts of gang membership, providing material support to terrorism, and illegal weapons possession.
Here's where the other 11 men stand in charges relating to the kidnapping plot:
- Ty Garbin and Kaleb Franks pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit kidnapping;
- Shawn Fix pleaded guilty to providing material support for terrorist acts;
- Brian Higgins pleaded guilty to material support of an act of terrorism;
- Brandon Caserta was acquitted of conspiracy to commit kidnapping, Daniel Harris was acquitted of conspiracy to commit kidnapping, explosives and gun charges;
- Adam Fox was found guilty and sentenced to 16 years in prison for kidnapping conspiracy and conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction;
- Joseph Morrison was found guilty and sentenced 10 years in prison for materially aiding a terrorist and gang membership;
- Barry Croft was found guilty and sentenced to 19 years and seven months in prison for kidnapping conspiracy, conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction and possessing an unregistered destructive device;
- Pete Musico was found guilty and sentenced 12 years in prison for materially aiding a terrorist and gang membership;
- Paul Bellar was found guilty and sentenced seven years in prison for materially aiding a terrorist and gang membership.
Fox and Croft filed an appeal with the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, asserting U.S. District Judge Robert Jonker didn't properly address allegations of jury misconduct and imposed unfair time limits on their attorneys' cross-examinations of key government witnesses.
Jonker sentenced Fox, the described leader of the conspiracy, to 16 years in prison, a lesser term than the life sentence sought by federal prosecutors. Jonker sentenced Croft to a 19-year prison stint. In addition to the kidnapping conspiracy plot, Croft also was convicted of conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, and knowingly possessing an unregistered destructive device.
Contributing: Claire Thornton, USA TODAY; Arpan Lobo, Tresa Baldas, Frank Witsil, Detroit Free Press.
veryGood! (2518)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- A push for school choice fell short in Trump’s first term. He may now have a more willing Congress
- Police arrest a man after 9 people are stabbed over a day-and-a-half in Seattle
- Inter Miami vs. Atlanta live updates: Will Messi fend off elimination in MLS Cup Playoffs?
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- DOJ files lawsuit against Mississippi State Senate for severely underpaying Black staffer
- Why Ariana Grande’s Brother Frankie Grande Broke Down in Tears Over Her Wicked Casting
- Buccaneers donate $10K to family of teen fan killed in crash on way to 'MNF' game
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Haul out the holly! Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree arrives in New York City
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Democrat Andrea Salinas wins reelection in Oregon’s 6th District
- Kohl’s unveils Black Friday plans: Here’s when customers can expect deals
- The Daily Money: Who pays for Trump's tariffs?
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Democrat April McClain Delaney wins a US House seat in a competitive Maryland race
- Cynthia Erivo Proves She Can Defy Gravity at the Wicked Premiere
- Alabama high school football player died from a heart condition, autopsy finds
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Why Wicked’s Marissa Bode Wants Her Casting to Set A New Precedent in Hollywood
Democrat April McClain Delaney wins a US House seat in a competitive Maryland race
S&P 500 and Nasdaq extend rally after Fed cuts rates and hints at more ahead. Dow ends flat
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Haul out the holly! Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree arrives in New York City
Jason Kelce Reacts After Getting in Trouble With Kylie Kelce Over NSFW Sex Comment
Cynthia Erivo Proves She Can Defy Gravity at the Wicked Premiere