Current:Home > InvestTeenager charged in deadly 2022 school shooting in Iowa seeks to withdraw guilty plea -Wealth Empowerment Zone
Teenager charged in deadly 2022 school shooting in Iowa seeks to withdraw guilty plea
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 21:10:14
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — One of the 10 teenagers charged in a deadly 2022 shooting at an Iowa high school now wants to withdraw his guilty plea.
Octavio Lopez Sanchez Jr. was originally charged with first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, and two counts of willful injury-causing serious injury. In August, Lopez Sanchez agreed to plead guilty to second-degree murder and two counts of willful injury, WHO-TV reported. He was scheduled to face sentencing Nov. 7.
Fifteen-year-old Jose David Lopez was killed in the shooting on March 7, 2022, on the grounds of East High School in Des Moines. Two other teenagers were seriously injured. Lopez was not a student at the school.
Lopez Sanchez filed a motion last week to withdraw his guilty plea. In the motion, Lopez Sanchez said his legal counsel was ineffective and incorrectly told him that if found guilty he would face life in prison without parole. But the motion noted that as a minor, a life sentence is not mandatory.
The motion said that if Lopez Sanchez knew the full range of sentence options, he wouldn’t have agreed to plead guilty. It also stated that he wasn’t given the chance to speak with relatives before agreeing to the plea.
No date has been set for a hearing on Lopez Sanchez’s motion.
Eight other people charged in the crime have pleaded guilty.
veryGood! (43)
Related
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Russia says defense industry worker arrested for providing information to Poland
- Mississippi cities under boil-water notice after E. coli found in samples
- Julia Roberts Shares Sweet Glimpse Into Relationship With Husband Danny Moder
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Update expected in case of Buffalo supermarket gunman as families await decision on death penalty
- North Carolina man convicted of hate crime charges in 2 separate confrontations
- The Excerpt podcast: The diversity vs. meritocracy debate is back
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- Michigan woman opens her lottery app, sees $3 million win pending: 'I was in shock!'
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Who was the revered rabbi cited as inspiration for a tunnel to a basement synagogue in New York?
- North Carolina man convicted of hate crime charges in 2 separate confrontations
- This week's news quiz separates the winners from the losers. Which will you be?
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- ‘Parasite’ director calls for a thorough probe into the death of actor Lee Sun-kyun
- Marisa Abela Dramatically Transforms Into Amy Winehouse in Back to Black Trailer
- Yankees signing All-Star pitcher Marcus Stroman to bolster rotation
Recommendation
Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
Russian pro-war activist to face trial over alleged terrorism offenses, Russian news agency says
Natalia Grace GoFundMe asks $20,000 for surgeries, a 'fresh start in life'
Baking company announces $37 million expansion of Arkansas facility, creating 266 new jobs
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Former Suriname dictator vanishes after being sentenced in killings of 15 political opponents
Ariana Madix Details Rollercoaster Journey From Scandoval to Broadway Debut
The Excerpt podcast: The diversity vs. meritocracy debate is back