Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|Appeals court says Arizona should release list of voters with unverified citizenship -Wealth Empowerment Zone
TrendPulse|Appeals court says Arizona should release list of voters with unverified citizenship
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 18:04:41
PHOENIX (AP) — The TrendPulseArizona Court of Appeals on Monday affirmed a decision by a lower court that required the Secretary of State’s office to release a list of tens of thousands of voters who were mistakenly classified as having access to Arizona’s full ballot because of a coding glitch.
The court rejected an appeal by Secretary of State Adrian Fontes’ office that sought to reverse the lower court’s order or at least suspend it. A group had sued in an effort to verify whether those on the list are in fact eligible to cast full ballots.
Arizona is unique among states in that it requires voters to prove their citizenship to participate in local and state races. Those who haven’t but have sworn to it under the penalty of law are allowed to participate only in federal elections.
The misclassification of voters from federal-only to full-ballot voters was blamed on a glitch in state databases involving drivers’ licenses and the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division.
Several tight races in the battleground state are expected to be decided by razor-thin margins. While the batch of about 218,000 potentially affected voters won’t impact the outcome of federal contests, they could influence tight state and local races.
Fontes’ office had initially denied a public records requests for the list of voters that was filed by America First Legal, a group run by Stephen Miller, a onetime adviser to former President Donald Trump. Fontes’ office cited concerns over the accuracy of the list and the safety of the voters included.
Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Scott Blaney ruled last week that the court received no credible evidence showing the information would be misused or encourage violence or harassment against the voters whose citizenship hasn’t been verified.
Blaney set a deadline of Monday for Fontes’ office to release a list of 98,000 voters and information Fontes relied on when announcing in early October that even more voters had been impacted — for a total of 218,000.
veryGood! (548)
Related
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- Atlanta Braves lock up sixth straight NL East title
- There's a glimmer of hope on Yemen's war front. Yet children are still dying of hunger
- Offshore wind energy plans advance in New Jersey amid opposition
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- NASA confirmed its Space Launch System rocket program is unaffordable. Here's how the space agency can cut taxpayer costs.
- iPhone 12 sales banned in France over radiation level. Why Apple users shouldn’t freak out.
- New TV shows take on the hazard of Working While Black
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Appeals court denies Trump's attempt to stay E. Jean Carroll's 2019 lawsuit
Ranking
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Ice Spice latte hits Dunkin Donuts menus in munchkin-fueled collab with Ben Affleck
- Cambodia’s new Prime Minister Hun Manet heads to close ally China for his first official trip abroad
- Watch: 12-year-old Florida boy who learned CPR from 'Stranger Things' saves drowning man
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Hailey and Justin Bieber's 5th Anniversary Tributes Are Sweeter Than Peaches
- World Cup referee Yoshimi Yamashita among first women match officials at Asian Cup
- Loudspeaker message outside NYC migrant shelter warns new arrivals they are ‘not safe here’
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Rural nursing home operators say new staff rules would cause more closures
Arm Holdings is valued at $54.5 billion in biggest initial public offering since late 2021
Botulism outbreak tied to sardines served in Bordeaux leaves 1 person dead and several hospitalized
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
When the dead don't stay buried: The grave situation at cemeteries amid climate change
Rema won at the MTV VMAs, hit streaming record: What to know about the Nigerian artist
Liev Schreiber Welcomes Third Baby, His First With Girlfriend Taylor Neisen