Current:Home > InvestIndexbit Exchange:Senegalese opposition leader Sonko sent back to prison after weeks in hospital during hunger strike -Wealth Empowerment Zone
Indexbit Exchange:Senegalese opposition leader Sonko sent back to prison after weeks in hospital during hunger strike
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 02:08:28
DAKAR,Indexbit Exchange Senegal (AP) — Senegalese opposition leader Ousmane Sonko has returned to prison after weeks of undergoing medical treatment in the hospital during a hunger strike to protest his detention on charges he says are politically motivated.
The announcement comes just days before Senegal’s Supreme Court is due to rule on whether Sonko can take part in the upcoming February election despite being struck from the country’s voter rolls after his conviction on charges of corrupting youth earlier this year.
Prison authorities said Sonko’s transfer back to Cap Manuel prison in Dakar on Tuesday took place as “the result of a recommendation by his attending physician.”
“Wherever he is detained, the result is the same: President Ousmane Sonko remains a favourite candidate in the presidential election, arbitrarily detained and deprived of his rights by his political opponents,” said El-Malick Ndiaye, the press officer for Sonko’s opposition party.
Sonko finished third in the last presidential election, and his supporters believe that the slew of criminal allegations brought against him since 2021 are part of an orchestrated campaign to derail his political aspirations ahead of a presidential election in February.
In June, Sonko was acquitted on charges of raping a woman who worked at a massage parlor and making death threats against her. But he was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country.
In late July, Senegalese authorities formally dissolved Sonko’s political party and placed him in detention. He is now facing charges of calling for insurrection, conspiracy against the state and other alleged crimes.
Senegal’s Interior Ministry removed Sonko from the voter rolls after his conviction earlier this year on charges of corrupting youth. However, the decision was later overturned by a judge in the southern city of Ziguinchor, where Sonko serves as mayor.
The judge ordered that Sonko be allowed to have sponsorship forms for the presidential election in the same way as other candidates. But his chances of taking part in the presidential election is uncertain. The Supreme Court is due to rule Friday on the Ziguinchor judge’s ruling.
veryGood! (876)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- 2 Broke Girls' Kat Dennings Marries Andrew W.K. After Almost 3 Years of Dating
- Macy's receives buyout offer — is it all about real estate?
- Did inflation drift lower in November? CPI report could affect outlook for interest rates
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- After losing Houston mayor’s race, US Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee to seek reelection to Congress
- Jennifer Aniston Reveals She Was Texting Matthew Perry Hours Before His Death
- Third Mississippi man is buried in a pauper’s grave without family’s knowledge
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Two Nashville churches, wrecked by tornados years apart, lean on each other in storms’ wake
Ranking
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Raven-Symoné reveals her brother died of colon cancer: 'I love you, Blaize'
- Mexico’s president vows to eliminate regulatory, oversight agencies, claiming they are ‘useless’
- The UN peacekeeping mission in Mali ends after 10 years, following the junta’s pressure to go
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- US inflation likely cooled again last month as Fed prepares to assess interest rates
- Arizona, Kansas, Purdue lead AP Top 25 poll; Oklahoma, Clemson make big jumps; Northwestern debuts
- Denver Broncos QB Russell Wilson and singer Ciara welcome daughter Amora Princess
Recommendation
RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
How the 2016 election could factor into the case accusing Trump of trying to overturn the 2020 race
Patrick Mahomes was wrong for outburst, but Chiefs QB has legitimate beef with NFL officials
Air Force watchdog finds alleged Pentagon leaker Jack Teixeira's unit failed to take action after witnessing questionable activity
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Raven-Symoné reveals her brother died of colon cancer: 'I love you, Blaize'
1000-Lb. Sisters' Amy Slaton Details “Sparks” in New Romance After Michael Halterman Breakup
US rapper Kendrick Lamar dazzles as he shares South Africa stage with local artists